I have spent almost 40 years in the arse end of marketing. That is to say, when the shit hits the fan I’m the fall guy they come to and try and pin the badge of blame. They never look to their own shortcomings and their own stupidity, instead they blame the guy that told them what to do and how to do it, but they never listen ! And no I am not a ‘Consultant, want to know more then read on !!
- Don’t just believe in your product, live with it and use it. If it’s a car, drive it, if it’s a new piece of software test it, if it’s a new alcoholic beverage, drink it !!
- Trust your ‘gut’. If it feels right do it! if not then don’t. But always trust your gut instinct.
- Never listen to a consultant. ‘Consultants‘ are failed businessmen/women. If they have never ‘been there done that’ and only derived their ‘market intelligence’ from text books, avoid them like the plague.
- Make mistakes and be proud of them but more importantly learn from them and move on, no-one likes a cry baby in marketing.
- Listen to your colleagues. Sometimes when I cannot think straight I ask my team. You will be amazed at how someone in a position without power sometimes has the greatest ideas. ASK them and LISTEN to them.
So in short, these are what I consider to be the most important and intelligent points about marketing. I have worked with some of the biggest (not always the best) brands in the world, HSBC, Debenhams, Sainsbury, Economist, American Express, BMW, La Redout, Next, and many, many more, some have listened some have not but I know my successes. If you want to know more then follow me and find out more..